Mars Today - October 2009
We have survived the “Invasion!” of 2009 only to find ourselves at the mercy of Dark Lords who seek to dominate the Universe one planet at a time, starting with, of course, Mars! Is there no end to this madness? Can these guys rock a con? Can we distract them with Pluto? Or belly dancing? Will there be costumes? Will there be cows? Will I dream? Stay tuned for the twelfth installment of MarsCon! Read on for the latest news concerning MarsCon's schedule of events, the October 31st rate increase/registration deadline, hotel specifics, and the upcoming Masquerade Ball being held on November 7th at the Holiday Inn & Suites, Bloomington, MN:
Registration Deadline is October 31st!
Now Mr. Christopher—he’s the Boss—Mr. Christopher says we should be charging more. But the Boss stepped out for—he stepped out for lunch, and he left me with all these MarsCon badges. And I’m looking out at all you—all you Fine Folks gathered round your computers right now, and I’m thinking—thinking we’re running such a great con this year; there’s no way anyone should be left out. So while the Boss ain’t looking—and while I’m in charge—MarsCon is running—whachacallit?—running “an Economic Stimulus Program”—so I’m putting away all these old registration forms, and I’ve got a stack that says adults get in for $35.00. (Just ’till the Boss gets gets back, mind you—just ’till November first; then prices gotta go back up.) So all you Fine Folks gathered round right now—I’m telling you: if you’re on line, you’re in time—that’s right: if you’re on line, you’re in time. Adults and teens get in for just $35.00, and kids (ages 6-12) get in for $15… just till the Boss gets back. After that it will cost $45.00 for adults/teens and $20 for kids 6-12 through January 31st. For registration forms, or to register online, go to http://marscon.org/2010/register.php.
MarsCon Theme & Progress Report
MarsCon is a volunteer–run sci-fi/fantasy convention for all ages, with food, parties, gaming, music, costumes, prizes, vendors, science exhibits, famous guests, an art show and other fun stuff, sponsored by the Fans Educational Network for Science Fiction (FenSF). MarsCon will fill the Holiday Inn & Suites, Bloomington, MN, with zany, fannish goodness on the weekend of March 5-7, 2010. Our theme will be “Dark Lords & Femme Fatales,” and Programming will feature these wonderful Guests of Honor:
- Gwynyth Walsh, Actress Guest of Honor – Gwynyth is possibly best known for her portrayal of B’Etor, the younger of the politically influential Klingon Duras Sisters on Star Trek. She has also appeared in Taken, Smallville, Forever Knight, Tin Man, Supernatural, Alien Nation, NYPD Blue, and Stargate SG-1.
- John Garner, Artist Guest of Honor – John’s award-winning artwork has been published in TSR’s Dungeon Adventures magazine, “Starslayer”gaming module, Cloud Kingdom Games’ “Fall of Castle Bondi,” and Fantasy Art Now. He continues to seek the holy grail of chocolate.
- The Nick Atoms, Musical Guests of Honor – Dr. Ted Nelson, Coburn, and Wyngarde perform rock versions of your favorite television and movie theme songs. The Nick Atoms disappeared under mysterious circumstances some 5 years ago. Witness their triumphant return to MarsCon for a reunion/farewell performance. A full line-up of musical artists for the MarsCon 2010 Dementia Track has been posted at http://marscondementia.com/.
- Loretta McKibben, Science/Author Guest of Honor – Loretta has worked on two NASA Mars mission instrument teams at the University of Arizona: Mars 2001 Odyssey Gamma-Ray Spectrometer, which discovered water on Mars, and the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera.
MarsCon also depends upon you, the attendees, for much of our programming. There are a few ideas posted on our web site, but lots of room for more. If you think, “It would be so cool if MarsCon had this!”...you qualify to add an idea.
3rd Annual MarsCon Masquerade Ball on November 7th - You Are Invited
You won’t have to wait until March. Join us for an evening of dancing, drinks and costumes galore! The Masquerade Ball is set for Saturday, November 7, 2009 (6PM Meet & Greet; 7-11PM Ball) at the Holiday Inn & Suites, 3 Appletree Square, Bloomington, MN (exit onto 34th Ave South from I-494/ close to airport). Tickets are just $10 and may be purchased at the door. Bring your friends!
In the hotel that same day, Eric Heideman will be hosting SF Minnesota’s “Classic Horror Films” event from 12:30 p.m. until midnight! Admission is free, and some refreshments will be served, but bringing something for everyone to share would be very welcome. They’ve held this event since 1992, surveying the classic tradition in horror films in chronological order. This year is part 19: Renaissance, 1999-2001, featuring six films from the period. Who says Halloween and costumes are just for one day? Make a night of it, and try out both events!
Hotel Reservations & Parties at MarsCon
We are returning to the Holiday Inn & Suites, 3 Appletree Square, Bloomington, MN, (close to the airport & Mall of America) for MarsCon 2010. The room rates are $89 + tax for a regular room and $109 + tax for suites on any floor, including the party floor. To reserve a room, call 952.854.9000 or 1.800.HOLIDAY, and mention “MarsCon” to get the reduced rate. Tip: Try calling the 952 number first during regular business hours, and please let us know if you have any trouble getting the MarsCon rate so we can help. If you want to host a party at MarsCon, go ahead and book a regular room, then fill out our party request form at http://marscon.org/2010/parties.php, then contact Nicky at email@example.com with your room confirmation number and party details so she can make sure your room gets placed on the 13th floor.
Upcoming Planning Meetings
Planning meetings for MarsCon take place throughout the year, and they are a great place to add your ideas to MarsCon 2010. Meetings generally get started at 1:00 p.m. at the Holiday Inn & Suites, 3 Appletree Square, Bloomington, MN. We welcome potential volunteers, representatives from other groups, and even the mildly curious to attend and contribute to planning.
- November 8, 2009 – Meeting; PR2 articles due; Brainstorm programming ideas
- December 13, 2009 – Meeting; Last call for programming ideas (PR#2)
- January 10, 2010 – Meeting; Program Book articles are due. Finalizing program
- January 31, 2010 – Registration rate increases; Program Book ads deadline
- February 14, 2010 – Meeting; Last minute programming revisions due
- February 28, 2010 – Meeting; “OMG, Why didn't I do that last spring???” check-in
- March 5-7, 2010 – Convention happens!
MARS TODAY Subscriptions
To add yourself—or remove yourself—from our email list please surf to http://mail.marscon.org/mailman/listinfo/marstoday and scroll down to “Subscribing to Mars Today” (to add yourself to our list) or “Mars Today Subscribers” (to remove yourself). Follow the instructions and you’re in (or out). If you have any trouble at all with your Mars Today subscription tell the MarsCon webmaster (contact info).
Thanks once more to volunteers! We could not possibly do this without you! More volunteers are always welcome & needed!
- Oct ‘09
- Oct ‘08 Jan ‘08
- Oct ‘07 Jan ‘07
- Feb ‘06, Jan ‘06
- Nov ‘05, Aug ‘05, Mar ‘05, Jan ‘05
- Aug ‘04, May ‘04, Feb ‘04, Jan ‘04
- Dec ‘03, Nov ‘03, Oct ‘03, Aug ‘03, July ‘03, Mar ‘03, Feb ‘03, Jan ‘03
- Dec ‘02, Nov ‘02, Oct ‘02, Sep ‘02, Aug ‘02, Jul ‘02, Jun ‘02, Apr ‘02, Mar ‘02, Jan ‘02 #2, Jan ‘02 #1
- Oct ‘01, Mar ‘01, Feb ‘01, Jan ‘01
- Dec ‘00, Nov ‘00, Oct ‘00, Sep ‘00, May ‘00, Apr ‘00 (#2), Apr ‘00 (#1), Mar ‘00, Feb ‘00, Jan ‘00 (#2), Jan ‘00 (#1)
- Dec ‘99, Nov ‘99, Oct ‘99, Sep ‘99, Aug ‘99, Jul ‘99, Jun ‘99, May ‘99, Apr ‘99
-= 2010 Home =-
-= Art Show =-
-= A.V. Club Room =-
-= Admiral’s Tea =-
-= Blood drive =-
-= Charity auction =-
-= Contact info =-
-= Dealers’ Room =-
-= Dementia Track =-
-= Gaming =-
-= Guests of Honor =-
-= Hotel Info =-
-= Mars Today =-
-= MarsCon History =-
-= Masquerade Lounge =-
-= Masquerade Rules =-
-= Room Parties =-
-= Planning Meeting Schedule =-
-= Program Schedule =-
-= Printable Flyer (pdf) =-
-= Progress Report 1 (pdf) =-
-= Progress Report 2 (pdf) =-
-= Programming Ideas =-
-= Registration Info =-
-= Photos! =-
-= Science Room =-
-= Volunteer (please!) =-
-= Twitter Tweets =- -= Dementia Track (at MarsConDementia.com) =-
March 5—7, 2010
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites